Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Parent's 50th Anniversary Trip to Colorado: Day 5

The day started out very slow as my hips felt like a jolt of lightning had rushed through them. The past few days of hiking have taken a toll on my legs that prefer the flat terrain of West Texas over the hills and mountains of Colorado! With the soreness setting in, I decided to take the day off from running! Not Pam, she looked at her sore legs and mocked them as she pounded out a few miles of the treacherous terrain known as my parents neighborhood!

There was only two major goals for the day. The first was to take my dad out and celebrate Father's Day for lunch, and the second was to get downtown in plenty of time to hangout with Holmes...AKA Tony prior to the Rockies game. Since this was the only two items on the agenda, I had plenty of time to relax and just hangout in the morning.

Pam and the girls had another plan. They wanted to hit the mall and see what damage they could do while they assaulted our bank account. They grabbed Grandma and went into the mall with a vengeance to see what treasures they could come home with.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead my dad and I watched old western reruns. I'm not an old western kind-a-guy, but my dad loves them. In fact, not only did I get the privilege to watch the old time cowboys with him, I also got the pleasure of my dad's play-by-play commentary as he knows each line and story.

After a heavy dose of being on the range with Marshal Dillon, it was time to go get some lunch and celebrate an early Father's Day. We won't be in town come Sunday, so Pam suggested just my dad and I enjoy some time together over some food. I told my dad he could pick anywhere he wanted. He suggested a place called Brewery Bar III. It's a local Mexican joint that claims to have the best green chili in Colorado. That's a claim I don't take lightly as green chili is an important part of Pam and mine's regular diet!



















Papa went for the chili rellenos smothered in green chili with rice and beans and I opted for the #2 which included a smothered burrito with green chili, a taco and a tostado. We waited in eager excitement for our food to come out as we could smell the aroma of green chili that filled the eatery!

Papa's food came out first, and it looked like he could have served a small army off his plate. My food arrived, and it took two big size platters. We dug in and both agreed within several bites that Brewery Bar III was legit and would definitely fit on both of our Top Five list of all-time Mexican food restaurants. On a scale of one-to- five forks, Papa gave it a well-deserved 4.6 while I was a little more generous with a 4.8. If you haven't tried it, and you are in the market for some good food. Go there now and when you speak of me, speak of me well!



































We rolled ourselves out of the restaurant and some how made it back home so my dad could sleep off his food coma. I had to get ready to head out to the Rockies game to meet up with Holmes. I decided to take the Light Rail rather than fight traffic and parking downtown. I actually enjoy taking it as the train is rather convenient, and it's always interesting place to people watch.

I got downtown a little faster than Holmes and had time to scope out a good bar for a beer while I waited on him to arrive. I waited through several cold ones until Holmes finally was able to make it. I gave him ample time to catch up and we headed off to the game!


















Since the Yankees were in town, they are considered a premium seat. Why? I honestly have no idea since they are a poor-performing team. However, it's not a bad marketing strategy as people came out in droves to watch the game. Holmes worked hard to get us some overly priced rock pile tickets. We found our seats as well as the beer vendor and settled in for a typical Coors Field game that consists of no pitching and lots of runs scored by each team!

















It didn't take Holmes long to start to get in his grumpy mode. When Tony gets cranky at a ball game, it means one of two things. Either he is hungry, or he is pouting because we are sitting too far away for him to get a foul ball. I decided it was time to get him a nacho hat and see if we could sneak down to closer seats. Our theory is that if we got caught sneaking into better seats, we would say we knew the coolest Flood and all would be okay. It turns out the nacho hat worked well for Tony, but knowing the coolest Flood got us no closer to the field!

The game went back and forth and we talked about the good old days and decided we were going to make a return trip to spring training for next year with Scott and Brett. Tony also decided we would be crashing at Scott's house to save money!

The game was great and the company was better. We soon headed out on our separate trains to go home. I had a great day 5 and went to sleep wondering what excited adventures day 6 would bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment