Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Escape to the Great White North Day 1

Day 1:

The day started out extra early for the girls considering they had to awake from their long summer slumber and get their lazy bodies out of bed and shake the cob webs out of their heads to get ready for another adventurous year of school! Pam was in an exceptional mood and went so far to make the girls homemade chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. Pam claimed she did it because it was the first day of school. I know she was just trying to get a step up on the parent of the year award! Either way the girls were happy to be well nourished with a belly full of sugar.

Being the first day of school, the girls were more eager to get a pep in their step and get ready at a quick rate of speed! I was equally quick as I was excited to get the girls dropped off for their first day of school so I could head out to The Great White North, AKA Colorado! I had a few days of vacation that I had to burn and my parents both are turning the young age of 70 this week. It was the perfect time for a solo trip so I jumped on the opportunity!

Once the kids were ready I lined them up for their annual first day of school photo. After a few quick pictures we decided it was time to walk Little D to school. AK had stayed behind since her school started a little later on. Little D is not a fan favorite of having Pam and I around school. It just might be that our extra hugs and kisses just might embarrass a big fourth grader! 

















Once we got to school Little D made a sprint to her new classroom. Either she was trying to escape the embarrasemtn of having us at school or she wanted to get to class. She was excited to get AK's all time favorite teacher Mrs. Walls as her educator for the upcoming year. In Little D's eyes the fabulous Mrs. Walls could do no wrong and Pam and I concur with that thought! After taking a quick picture and getting one last forced hug and a half attempt at a kiss we found ourselves leaving Little D alone to face the great big world of fourth grade!

















As we were walking out of the elementary school we saw AK and a pack of her friends walking in. Their plan was to meet up and cross the street together to the junior high as a herd. Apparently there is safety in numbers and they kept telling each other it would be okay as they crossed the street looking for other kids to join their pack. They were using the herd mentality, the more of them there was the less likely they could get pecked off. Although Pam desperately wanted to follow her sweet AK to her first day of junior high, I convinced her that this was something that she would need to take on all her own, or at least with their newly formed gang!

With the girls delivered to their proper educational institutions it was time time for me to load up and head north. I gave Pam a kiss and wished her luck as she was off to log eleven miles in training for her marathon later in the year. I started up T and put the one man hurry up offense into full motion!

The drive to Colorado is interesting. It can be very boring and flat in some areas while hilly and absolutely beautiful in others. Since I was by myself and actually had the rare control of the music, I plugged in my itunes and put on a concert of 80's music that I could sing as loud as I wanted without any complaints or interference of changing the station. I quickly found that the solo trip was in my favor. I didn't have to stop in every other town. I made it my mission to make one stop in Clayton, New Mexico where I refueled, relieved and bought a bag of my very own Hot Fries that I would not have to share. 

I kept T heading north as I stuffed my face with hot fries and sang out loud to Gun N Roses. I soon found myself close and way ahead of schedule. The plan was to surprise my dad at a restaurant called Rib City. Since the hurry up offense was successful I was way early and called my mom to re-plan the surprise. 

I pulled up to my parents house at the new world record time of nine hours and thirty minutes crushing all previous records! I snuck around back and knocked on the family room window where my dad was sitting. He looked up and was rather shocked to see his all time favorite son and kid standing outside. We had a great reunion and headed out to get some ribs!

As always Rib City was amazing! The ribs are very tender and its was great to toss back a few 25 cent beers! We chowed down and I filled my parents in on all the news about the girls why they filled me in on all the doctors they see! a good time was had by all as my dad declared that Rib City would receive the coveted score of five ribs licked clean out of five!

















After dinner we went back to my parents house to watch our beloved Cubs play. I grew up watching the Cubs with my dad and it is a rare but nice surprise when we have the chance to get to watch them together now. The girls called and all reports of the first day were successfull. I am happy to report that the herd mentality worked as none of the kids were pecked off. I think AK is going to like junior high. Personally junior high was some of the best years in my life making some friends that I still remain close with. I hope AK finds the same true for her! I just hope she dosen't get into the shennanigans that Brett, Tony and Scott got me into!

No comments:

Post a Comment