Monday, August 31, 2015

The Escpape to the Great White North day 4

Day 4: 

The day started off in a hurry as my mom and I had many important chores to run. I had to find some new Broncos garb for Pam and the girls since the start season was around the corner, and I didn't want all the Cowboys fans (Rigo) that we have to deal with making fun of the family for having to wear last years stuff they outgrew!


We went to Walmart as our first stop. I hate going to Walmart in Midland, and it turns out that I equally hated it just as much in Lone Tree! I found the girls some great Peyton Manning jerseys only to find out that they already had the exact same ones. So, not only did I get to go to my least all time favorite place to shop once, I got to go a second time to return the jerseys the girls already have for some shirts they don't. The only win in the situation was that the shirts were much cheaper than the jerseys!


With the morning chores complete we headed back to my parents house where my dad was watching Gun Smoke on TV. He loves the old cowboys shows and longs for someone to watch them with him. I sat down with him for a couple of hours as he explained what life was like on the old Ponderosa. 


Later in the afternoon I had to go pick up cousin Garrett. We were off to the Beer, Bands and Bacon Festival in downtown Littleton. Earlier in the day I read on Facebook an old buddy Justin, AKA Hamm would be singing lead vocals for the 80's tribute band, Mr. Steak. I have tried to catch them on other trips up north, but have always just missed their shows by a day or two. Having grown up with Jay, I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to see him and the band.














I decided to take Garrett so he could understand what good music really is rather than the crap kids listen to today. Garrett was eager to go and ended up loving all the music that was played. 



It was great to see Hamm perform and I was quite impressed with the band. They are an extremely talented group of musicians! Another added bonus was getting to see and visit with Justin's wife and his parents Mel and Nancee. I have not seen his parents since we graduated from high school. It was great to catch up with them as they all looked great!


If you are looking for some good tunes and a good time I suggest you like Mr. Steak on Facebook and find out when their next gig is. Not only will you enjoy the music, but it will take you back to when music was played the way it was supposed to be played: loud, proud and with some attitude!




















My only regret was that we had to leave early to meet up the family for dinner. The choice of restaurants was the Mongolian BBQ. This place is an oldie, but it certainly is a fan favorite of our family. You get to pick out your meats and vegetables and load it up. They cook your meal on a big old stone in no time. Garrett likes the fact that it is All-You-Can eat as he put back more than what should be humanly allowed. We enjoyed the food and headed back to my parent's house for left over birthday cakes and last goodbyes as I would be heading back to the family the next day. I considered staying and becoming a roadie for Mr. Steak, but reality kicked in, and I realized how much I would miss Pam and the girls.





Saying good bye to my parents is never an easy task and the older we get the tougher it becomes. I knew I wanted to get an early start to get back home in time to see the girls for a little bit before we headed out to help with the 7th grade swim party that Pam volunteered us to be a part of. It was wonderful to get home and see Pam and the girls. The trip was fun and relaxing, but I was happy to home where I belong!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to go 'home' every now and then, huh! Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete