Friday, July 8, 2016

The Desparrois First Ever RV Camping Trip: Day 4 & 5

Day 4

Once again I was up early from all the terrific sleep with the comforts of a paper thin mattress that only an RV can provide. Pam and the girls slept in a little later with Little D winning the award for waking up the latest. Perhaps she needed her rest after a long day of being the youngest in the family!


Pam and AK decided to be wild and hike a new trail. They came back after a while from being gone to tell the crazy adventurous of their journey. From the sounds of it, they were able to spot this very tree and...live to tell the tale of seeing it!


















The morning was beautiful as it was somewhat cold for a summer in Texas with some cloud cover to help block the penetrating evil rays of the sun. Once again, Pam created some good eats with breakfast burritos full of eggs, bacon, jalapeno, onion, and avocado with a squirt of hot sauce and some fresh fruit. Pam and AK have become quite the camp cooks, and both are vying for the title of being called the official camp Cook.


We cleaned up breakfast and settled into the river as it has become a comfortable place for Little D as if she were a frog. Little D has surprised me on the river. She's not of fan of wildlife and is scared to death of fish. For some unknown reason, she doesn't seem to be bothered by the river and has loved swimming in it.


We floated up and down the river a few times, and I went on my own hike in the shade. The sun's intense heat was starting to get to my pale skin, so Pam and I retreated to make lunch while the girls enjoyed the river a little longer. We cooled off as much as we could and prepared some sandwiches for lunch. The girls soon arrived and scarfed their food down in no time.


With our bellies full, Little D was once again in rare form. For some unknown reason, she decided to wrap an article of clothing around her head. She claimed it keeps her cool. I think it must have been a weirdo gene she received from Pam. Either way, we accepted her new style and played a hardcore game of "Hot Potato" for a while.


Like all good games, the newness wore off, and we were all fighting back the heat. Little D went into the RV while Pam, AK and I sat in the shade.


















AK and I decided to cool off and go buy some ice at the parks store. AK was relieved to go as she took both bags of ice and promptly laid them on herself as if they were a cold blanket of loveliness!


















AK, Little D, and Pam decided they needed to return to the river one last time. I offered to stay back and keep the camp safe from the wildlife. Mostly, I just couldn't take five more minutes in the sun and had to beat the heat by sitting directly in front of the AC in the RV.


The girls had a blast, and AK was ready to cook the entire meal all by herself. I have to admit, it was very tough not to butt in and offer advice, but she managed just fine and cooked another fantastic meal. She even took the time to show Little D a few tricks of the trade!



I may be partial since AK is my daughter, or maybe she just has had a good teacher, either way, their grub was great and all were satisfied with their camp food!
After dinner, we quickly settled in for the night as we needed to be up early to pack up and head back to live with the civilized people of the world!

Day 5

Pam and I woke up early refreshed and ready to take on the world. It may have been the greatest night of sleep we received battling each other for position on the tiny RV bed, or maybe it was all the back-and-forth jostling we did to try and gain control of the blankets. Whatever the reason, I know I was just excited to pack up and head back to real living with my king-sized mattress and AC that operates as it should!

Pam made another round of breakfast burritos, and I started to pack the car and get the RV ready to be returned. Only one small task stood between us and the return to the civilized world, and that was dumping the dumper. I must admit I have had nightmares about dumping the dumper since Pam first surprised me with the trip on Father's Day. Instant flashbacks of watching Cousin Eddie kept coming to my mind. I had a huge fear of it getting everywhere and being rejected by society. I even texted Rigo and asked for his sound advice. Thankfully, Rigo told me not to worry and that it actually was easy to do. And you know what...Pam agrees, it really was not hard for her to do at all! In fact, after she saluted me with her new and improved "FU" finger and asked me for my man card, she stowed the dumper tube back in the RV, and we headed to turn our new adventure in.

We returned the RV with ease, and Pam announced that our return to civilization would include lunch at a nice restaurant. We arrived at Maggiano's to enjoy a fabulous meal under actual AC in our sweaty, river-smelling clothes.  I'm sure the waiter wondered at his good luck.  However, the food was incredible and Little D gave it a substantial 4-out-of-5 meatballs eaten rating.


After six days on the road, three nights in the RV, one at BobBob and BJ's house, another at the luxurious Embassy Suites that offers free breakfast, one day at Fiesta Texas, three solid days on the river, lots of camp food grilled by AK, celebrating our seventeenth year of wedded bliss, lots of sweat, more than one cool beverage, losing my man card, seeing the new and improved "FU" finger more than once, Little D kind of overcoming her fear of going to the public restrooms with spiders...we rode in to Midland only to be greeted by no electricity and no AC! 

Pam and I have a couple of busy weeks ahead of us at work. But I am excited to report the Desparrois family will be taking another exciting trip at the end of July to the Windy City to enjoy family, food, fun and, of course, the Cubs.

On a side note, the blog has officially reached its 5000th hit! Interesting enough, it is now international with readers all over the world. This would not be possible without my favorite groupies Rigo, Kelly and Cousin Garrett. After counting the vote, Kelly has been named President of the Fan Club, while Rigo will serve as the Secretary of Treasury and Cousin Garrett will continue his duties as Number One Super Fan!





No comments:

Post a Comment