Thursday, April 23, 2015

Colorado Solo Trip: Day One!

Day One: 

The day started off with its usual business of getting the girls ready for school. I had a hard time concentrating on the task at hand with my eager anticipation of preparing to travel to what I like to call the Great White North (Colorado). Pam, being in line to win the spouse of the year award, has granted me sometime off to visit the family for some much needed rest and relaxation!

I made the girls a nice breakfast so they could be properly fueled and ready to take the what the great state of Texas has determined to be a critical piece of educating the future, the STAAR test. With the girls well fed, I gave them my love, wished them luck and dropped them off at school so they could show the state how much they have learned.

I had a half day of work ahead of me and I knew going in that it would be fast and furious since I had a lot to do before I caught my flight. I was able to get it all done and was off to the airport. One of the bonuses of living in Midland is that you can get to the airport an hour before your flight and be good to go. Yesterday I arrived 45 minutes prior to leaving. I walked right up, checked my bag and was able to walk through security without waiting behind one person. It was looking like the travel gods were shining on me for my travel.

Both my flights were great and on time. When I arrived in Denver I called my dad to let him know that I would meet him at passenger pickup. He didn't answer. I called again, and no answer. I called my mom with the same result. I started to get worried about them and was questioning if I should have taken a cab? I finally got a hold of them and they were still driving to the airport. Relief came over me. My ADHD started to kick in after being on a plane for a long time so I decided to take the rare selfie and send it to my siblings and nephew to announce that their favorite brother/uncle had arrived safely. For some odd reason, that did not respond to my message!







My parents finally arrived and we were off to eat some dinner. We decided that we would got to the New York Deli News. This is an oldie but a goodie located in southeast Denver. If you love a good deli sandwich than this is a must for you. Not only do you get all you can eat pickles, but the portions are absolutely huge to have. I ordered a french dip sandwich and loved every bite. I could only eat half  of it before I was completely stuffed!











It was great to sit down and catch-up with my parents. While we were talking, I had a surprise visitor! My sister Katie had indeed received my text and knew that she needed to see her favorite little brother. She did a beeline from work to come meet up with us just to give me a kiss and tell me how excited that she was that I was in town! Katie looked great and it was fun to catch up with her as well.

















Everyone enjoyed their meal. We were full of deli meat from the sandwiches and full of love from the visit. On a scale of 1-5 pickles, my dad gave the New York Deli News a solid 4 1/2 eaten pickles!



















After dinner we were off to my parents house for one of my favorite all time activities. Watching the Cubs play with my dad. We grew up watching them play and I still miss those days. This past Christmas we decided that we needed to get my dad the MLB baseball package so he could see all the Cubs games on TV. He has enjoyed it, especially since the Cubs are playing well so far this year! We watched the game and told stories of past players and games we watched. Even though the Cubs lost, it was an exciting game to watch. Even with the lost, my heart was full with getting to spend time with the family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment