Saturday, April 25, 2015

Colorado Solo Trip: Day Three

Day Three:

Day three started out with another early start and visit with my mom. I was sore from the workout the day before so I decided to loosen up by going for another run. The weather was beautiful and I found myself enjoying the spring day with the exception of still having a serious lack of oxygen when I ran. My heart and lungs long for the oxygen rich flat lands of good old Midland!

With my run and abs workout completed it was time to get to work and get some errands completed for my folks around the house. A while back my Uncle Willy was in town and installed a new toilet. The old one had a small leak, and the leak stained the drop down ceiling in the basement. My mom needed this fixed so we were off to the Home Depot to get the proper supplies and materials. We found what we needed and were heading out the door when my mom made the suggestion that we stop and get a breakfast burrito at a place called the Tamale Kitchen. Having been there before, and knowing what I was about to have, I nodded in agreement!

Needless to say, I love the Tamale Kitchen! The Mexican food is exceptional and they don't skimp on the servings. I decided on a breakfast burrito and two tamales smothered in green chili. Green chili is what separates good Mexican food and poor Mexican food for me. It's hard to find in Midland, but is everywhere you go in Colorado. I polished off the food and on a scale of 1-5, it scored a near perfect four and a half green chili's eaten!







I took down the ceiling tiles and measured and cut the new ones. projects like this are usually easier than they look. Strangely enough I had no issues and they all went in with ease. I took some before and after pictures for a job well done to make Uncle Willy proud!


















No trip to Colorado is complete without attending some sort of sports event. Since the Rockies were in town I was able to score us some pretty sweet tickets behind the third base dugout. Both my brothers, Jeff and Denny were able to attend, as well as my nephew Garrett and my good Buddy Tony. We decided to all meet at sports bar downtown by the name of Maloney's Tavern.

Denny had a tough time escaping from work for the pregame, but everyone else was able to make it. Jeff sat down and order up some beers and appetizers. The bartender asked Garrett if he would like one as well. Garrett will turn 18 tomorrow, so he is just a few years shy of the drinking age. Jeff made it clear that he would not be drinking. The barkeep smiled at Garrett and told him that she would take care of him. She set him up with a soda water with extra cherry's and made sure that it never went empty. She flirted with him the whole time we were there and even gave him a new nickname, Cupcake. Personally I think it's a fit and a name that I will be sure to use.

With the game nearing, we finished up our food and headed to the game to meet up with Denny. The walk was not far and the weather was quite pleasant for an April evening game in Colorado. I have always liked to visit Coors Field. It is a beautiful ballpark located in downtown. The Rockies hit the mark when they made this park. It has already been here twenty years and I'm sure it will there for many more to come.











No trip to the Rockies is complete without a visit to see Kevin Flood. Kevin is a great guy and now has 16 years of service in with the Rockies. He has the type of job most baseball fans dream of. We stopped in to see Keven for a few minutes and catch up with him. It was great to see Kevin, who Tony has coined as the coolest Flood we know!





We found our seats and settled in for the usual high scoring event that happens in the high altitude of Denver. Tony was once again sitting by me and I knew that he was still in quest of his first ever foul ball. I was going to be on extra alert to see if I might just be able to help the guy out. After all he is only a couple weeks shy of turning 40! The guy needs his life long dream to come true soon!

We enjoyed watching the game and swapping stories of times past. When all of a sudden my brother Denny yelled "That's at us!" I looked up and saw a screeching line drive heading right at us. My reaction was to try and bare hand it. I knew right at that moment I had the chance to get Tony the perfect 40th birthday gift. I stuck up my hand and heard a loud smack as the screeching ball hit the heel of my palm. The ball was hit so hard that after it hit my hand it continued on to another section of seats over.

The barrage of insults from my brothers and friends started instantly on how I didn't have the ball. Nobody seemed too concerned if I has hurt. As my hand pounded with pain, the guys continued to laugh at me and Tony pouted knowing that his dream was once again so close, yet so far away. The usher, who was a young girl of maybe twenty came down to check on me. This only made the problem worse as Tony and Denny egged her on and told her that we needed free beers to take away the pain! The funny thing was that not one of them made a half attempt to get the ball. In fact, I'm pretty sure they went diving to get out of the way of the ball.





With my pride hurt and my hand hurting even more, the game ended and it was time to get Cupcake and head home to prepare for another fun day tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment