Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Desparrois Family Trek Across the Southwest Day 1:

Day 1:

It was determined early on in the planning that we would rent a car for this particular trip. The rates were unbelievable and we choose not to put any more miles on our oldies but goodies. My job was to pick up the rental car the day before we left. That would give us time to pack it up and head out early for day one. Pam dropped my off at the airport so I could get the mid-sized SUV. 

Check in at Enterprise was fast and easy. I was in the Ford Escape heading for home in no time. When I pulled up to the front the girls ran out to see what the car would be. As soon as they got into to see our rental, AK announced that it stunk like smoke. Evidently my sniffer is broke because I didn't smell it. Delaney confirmed the smell and Pam nodded in agreement.

With the Best Parent of the Year award on the line, I loaded up the girls and headed back to the airport for car number two. The second SUV turned out to be a Jeep Compass. This car had no gizmo or gadgets and was basically a go-cart in the shell of an SUV. When I pulled up to the house Pam came outside and started laughing at the thought of this small go-cart taking us and our luggage through four states. I did what any good husband would do when they were about to celebrate their 16th anniversary while traveling. I gleefully went back yet again to the airport to see if I could get something else.

The wonderful lady at the counter was extremely nice and supportive. She upgraded me to a much larger, more comfortable, turbo sized air conditioner, with a huge storage area and powerful engine Dodge Journey. I arrived at home feeling like I had conquered the world as Pam shook her head proudly at what her husband brought home for the family's safe travels on the long and treacherous journey they would be embarking on! We went to Eskimo Hut to celebrate my win with a an adult beverage, and Pam was able to christen our new traveling partner the Grey Goose!

Day one started out at 4:00 am. Pam and I got up and took the dogs for a mile long walk. We woke the girls up, took quick showers and were on the road exactly as we had planned it at 5:00. Delaney was an early candidate to push for the Grumpiest Kid of the Day award with 20 minutes of huffing and puffing while complaining about everything. She finally tossed in the towel and dozed off. Pam and AK soon followed in slumber and I spent the next 3 and a half hours with my own thoughts as we cruised towards old El Paso.

The girls woke up and we hit the gas station for some refueling and some draining. Pam took the wheel and I was next to take a little snooze. I woke up about an hour later feeling lost and confused. Pam was chuckling because I was smiling in my sleep. I'm not sure what she thought was so funny about my smiling in my sleep? I obviously was dreaming about the sixteen years of wedding bliss we would be celebrating the next day!

It was decided in the planning stages that the hurry up offensive would not be put into play. We wanted to take our time and explore whatever came our way. It was not long before we came across a sign for Tombstone, Arizona. I had always wanted to visit it after seeing the movie. Pam did a quick Google map check and it was well within our range to visit.





Tombstone was a great side stop to make. It feels like you are going back in time. We enjoyed walking the same streets as Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp. AK and I decided we needed a memento from the excursion. We bought some matching shirts with the quote from the movie. Pam and little Delaney made fun of us for acting like a couple of rookie travelers and looking like tourist. We didn't care, we wore them with pride! AK and I decided that this would be a new mantra for the trip. "Tell 'em I'm coming & Hell's coming with me!"



















We continued through the streets and happened upon the jail. I locked the family up and thought about going on with a solo trip! But they looked pretty pathetic and were whining, so I sprung them out before the angry mob came for them.










The heat was starting to bear down and little Delaney was getting hungry. If there is anything we have learned from the past was that Grumpy needs need nourishment to truck on. It was only 11:30 in the morning and we had a lot more fun to take on. We couldn't have little Delaney tapping out early on us. Since little Delaney is some cute and irresistible, she gets what she wants and on this day she defiantly proved that she came from my loins as she requested In-N-Out Burger while batting her pretty blue eyes. Pam put the hurry up offense into full effect and headed us to Tucson to replenish our depleted systems.






After a wonderful meal of a double double animal style burger, fries and a chocolate shake it was time to move on to Scottsdale which would be our final destination for the day. We drove the last hour with the temperature raising into the 100's! It was hot and you could feel it when we reached our Embassy Suites. Check in was a breeze and we instantly put on our swim suits to hit the pool for a few adult beverages, rest, relaxation and family fun! 

After swimming and cooling off we decided to go get ready for the evening. Embassy Suites has a nice reception with free drinks. and snacks. The girls enjoy the snacks as much as Pam and I enjoy free booze!

Pam knew that AK was needing a trip to the local mall. So she made the executive decision that we would go there for a while and let AK do her thing. I loathe going to the mall. I would rather have each eye lash plucked out individually than have to go shopping at the mall. However, this trip was not all about me and I had to agree to be a part of the fun. 

Once we hit the mall, I ditched them like a bad date. I may be forced to go shopping but there is no way I am going to stick around for the endless hours of trying on clothes only to have them realize they don't like it.  I had for the sport shops to kill some time. After about an hour Pam texted and told me to meet up with them in another store. Could it be that we were done?

No such luck! When I found them Pam informed me that AK was yet to find anything, and we would be there longer. I grabbed little Delaney and headed to the pet store to kill time. We enjoyed looking at the puppies even though that I had to battle little Delaney's super powers of getting whatever she wanted.

We started to walk back to find Pam and AK when my worse nightmare came true. Little Delaney spotted her favorite store, Justice! With Pam no where in sight, I was forced to enter and watch Delaney shop and try on clothes. Thank the good Lord, little Delaney was quick with her purchases!

We regrouped the family and went off to eat. My nephew Garrett suggested we go to Oregano's for gigantic salads and Chicago style pizza. Garrett may be 6 foot 3 and a 140 pounds dipping wet, but he knows his way around a pizza. Oregano's did not disappoint. Avery Kate gave it four and a half slices of pizza!



After dinner we headed to the hotel and quickly fell asleep after a long day of driving and fun! Tomorrow will bring a new day, two different towns and many more crazy Desparrois' adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment